Monday, February 24, 2014

Brew For Autism

At the end of January, I was invited to attend "Brew For Autism." This event, hosted by Pour Standards and Richmond County Beer Club, was created to increase awareness of autism and raise funds to support the work of Autism Speaks.
I've attended many events in support of Autism Speaks. This organization works to change the future for all who struggle with autism spectrum disorders. This disease has become all too common in today's society. According to the Autism Speaks website:
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and autism are both general terms for a group of complex disorders of brain development. These disorders are characterized, in varying degrees, by difficulties in social interaction, verbal and nonverbal communication and repetitive behaviors.
They say that around 1 in 88 American children are on the autism spectrum. This is a ten-fold increase in prevalence in 40 years! That is why I support Autism Speaks and the work they are doing.
This event was a complete success. The Great Hall in Snug Harbor was completely transformed - complete with beer tastings and food. In fact, they featured over 25 home brewers from around the city! I could tell that all the guests were enjoying themselves and though I did not partake in the beer tasting, I definitely took the opportunity to do some "food tasting." The wings were delicious!
I was able to mingle with the guests and even saw some people I knew. It was also nice to meet the men and women who helped put the event together. There were so many people involved in the production of the event and I know they all care a great deal about our community.
I had a fun afternoon supporting a fantastic cause. Thank you to Pour Standards and Richmond County Beer Club for having me and for making it your mission to give back to those who need it most!

No comments:

Post a Comment