Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Light The Night Awards

Last month, I had the honor of being invited to attend the Light The Night Awards Ceremony at The Grand Plaza. I served on the Light The Night Committee this year, and raised $2,710 walking with my team, "Miss Greater New York’s Angels" (as I was still Miss Greater NY 2013 in September). 
Light The Night is one of my favorite walks and it has a special meaning for me because I walk in Dominic’s memory. When I arrived I was so proud to see my name on the "Bright Lights" board in the front lobby. This was because I raised over $1,000 on my own.
My parents and I filled out gold “memory” nametags and made our way inside. I was overwhelmed with pride when I spied another board with my team name ranking amongst those that raised $1,000 - $4,999. I felt a sense of overwhelming satisfaction that I had reached another goal of mine.
To make the night even better, I ran into Dianna Caggiano and Steven Blittersdorf. I first met them at a Zumba fundraiser for Dianna’s brother who passed away a few years ago. We have been friends ever since. She is hysterically funny and great to be around as is her brother’s fiancé, Steven.
Of course, I had to sample some of the awesome food at the buffet before we were seated for the ceremony! Yum! As the awards were announced, I was inspired by the number of people who raised such huge amounts of money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to fund blood cancer research. I was also happy to see that my friend Marina Tornabene’s team, "Marina’s Miracle Mile," was one of the top rookie teams this year! Marina is battling leukemia and is one of the most amazing young ladies I’ve ever met. Go Marina!

My Staten Island pride grew even more with this award ceremony. Our community is always coming together for great causes like this one and it makes me so proud of my title. I am happy to say that I have been asked to join the committee, once again, for 2014 and I look forward to raising even more money with this year's team!

No comments:

Post a Comment