Monday, March 31, 2014

Pancakes, Donations, and Miracles

The Miss America Organization's national platform is The Children’s Miracle Network (CMN). In addition to our own platform, every titleholder spends time supporting this worthy organization which raises funds for children's hospitals across the country, medical research and community awareness of children's health issues. In March, I was more than excited to visit the Staten Island IHOP for National Pancake Day to support CMN. Of course, the added bonus of free pancakes made it even better! To raise money for CMN, every diner gets a free short stack of pancakes and, in return, they will hopefully donate a few dollars to CMN.
When I arrived at IHOP the line was insane! There were so may people that my mom and I had a hard time even getting in the door. When we were finally inside we were greeted by Jessica, the manager, who asked me to make my way around the dining room with a basket of paper balloons to give to those people in exchange for a donation. I made my own donation and then started to collect.
As I walked from table to table I was quite proud that I was able to get a donation from even the hardest sell customers. After about an hour, I am proud to say, I collected over $100! The girl who gave me the hundredth dollar was so excited that she asked to pose for a picture!
I also met a group of students from Michigan who were in New York working with the Siller Foundation to rebuild homes that were damaged during Super-storm Sandy. One of the girls in the group told me that she had competed in a Miss Michigan local!
Unfortunately, I had to leave after an hour and a half to go to a meeting with The Kiwanis Club to ask for their support for my benefit, but I was happy that I got the chance to my part to help raise money for CMN. Thank you, Jessica, for having me and to IHOP for your support of The Children’s Miracle Network!

No comments:

Post a Comment