Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Groundhog Day

The morning of February 2nd - Groundhog Day - was gray and cold as I bundled up in the very early morning hours and made my way to The Staten Island Zoo. I am so ready for spring to get here and I was very interested to see what our groundhog, Staten Island Chuck, would predict.
At the zoo, I made my way behind the stage where Alexa (my little sister queen) and Stephanie (Miss Richmond County) joined me. After a little while, we made our way onto the stage and prepared for the ceremony. We listened as several zoo officials and our very tall Mayor Bill DeBlasio addressed the crowd. There were so any people there, which was something I hadn’t expected. I guess I wasn’t alone in wanting winter to become a distant memory! After several opening speakers, including the Deputy Borough President (who is a pretty funny guy), it was time to see what Chuck would predict. 
My sister queens and I didn’t have a clear view from where we were standing but we heard a gasp as the mayor picked Chuck up. Apparently, Chuck isn’t a fan of being held and he jumped from the Mayor DeBlasio's hands! He quickly recovered only to run into his burrow and - you guessed it - predict that there would be 6 more weeks of winter! I guess my boots and gloves will be around for a while longer... 
Before we left we had the chance to meet the mayor and speak with him about our titles and plans. We went inside to breakfast where we mingled with our fellow Staten Islanders as the P.S. 29 chorus entertained us. All in all, the experience made waking up before the sun worth it!
Thank you to The Staten Island Zoo for hosting this time-honored Staten Island tradition and for inviting us to be a part of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment