Monday, March 24, 2014

St. Patrick's Day Parade

The St. Patrick’s Day Parade down Forest Avenue is a long-standing Staten Island tradition and one that I always look forward to each year. That’s why on March 2nd, even though the weather was cold and foggy with the threat of snow in the air, I was excited to put on a bit-o-green and head out to the parade to meet up with my Princess Natalie and my sister queens Alexa, Miss Staten Island’s OT and Stephanie, Miss Richmond County.
My friend and driver Len Bosso was waiting for me with his new, very blue, Corvette. I love driving with Len because he makes it so much fun. Carmine DeBetta, a Miss Staten Island Board Member, and Jim Smith, Executive Director of the Miss Staten Island Organization, were also there to cheer us on. 
As we walked around meeting people, I was not surprised to see so many other familiar faces including Debi Rose, the Homan clan and even my high school Russian teacher, Mr. Callahan! I stopped by a few of the groups of servicemen to thank them for all that they do and chatted a while with some of the bagpipers. My favorite part was seeing ASPCA dogs up for adoption all dressed in St. Patrick’s Day hats and accessories. They were absolutely adorable!
We all got in our cars and waited to move into the line. The wind started picking up but mercifully, it hadn’t started to snow. I guess in the organized chaos, the parade director forgot about us because we wound up in a different section towards the end of the parade but no matter; we were soon on our way as my parents walked, or should I say “ran” the entire route taking pictures.

I love riding in this parade because all of the spectators are so welcoming. I saw quite a few people in the crowd who remembered me from appearances I had made at their schools which always makes me feel great! At the end of the route, we met up with my parents, my boyfriend and Natalie’s family and made the customary stop at Dunkin Donuts because, as you know, I most definitely run on Dunkin! The staff asked me to take a picture with them, which I happily did. Hey, Dunkin - I'm thinkin' commercial spot on the horizon!
As always, it was another awesome Staten Island parade experience. I feel so fortunate to have participated in so many of them! Thank you to the St. Patrick's Day Parade organizers for continuing to welcome our organization year after year. It means a lot to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment