Monday, September 22, 2014

JCC: Make-A-Wish Donation

Throughout my years as a local titleholder, I have had many fundraising events of my own. However, I had never been asked to accept a check on behalf of an organization, that is until last month when I was invited to attend the JCC Summer Camp to do just that. Through my good friend Kelly Quinn, I was asked to accept a check for the Make-A-Wish Foundation at this event. There were several other charities receiving checks and I was more than honored to be among these amazing young campers who raised over $3,500 for organizations including Make-A-Wish, The American Cancer Society, the ASPCA and JDRF...just to name a few. 
My first feat after arriving at Camp Kaufman was conquering the long walk to the event sight….up a dirt hill in heels, I might add. What was I thinking declining a ride in the golf cart? The event began with the campers (who ranged in age from about 5 to 19) being acknowledged for their phenomenal fundraising efforts which ranged from bake sales to car washes to musical performances. I was in awe of how much these young people had accomplished.
 The campers announced each charity and a representative came up to accept the check and say a few words. I accepted the check for Make-A-Wish and, as I made my way to the podium to speak, was both asked if I was the president and called a princess. A princess president? Now that's a thought! I took the time I had to let the campers know how inspired I was by their selflessness and philanthropic spirit. I was truly humbled by them all.
After all of the checks had been awarded, the campers entertained us with a few songs. They were absolutely adorable and I couldn't help but sing along. When the event was over I was literally bowled over by campers wanting to take "selfies" with me and get my autograph. I felt like a true celebrity! I was able to get a few in before the counselors announced that all campers needed to return to their group activities. Remembering the climb up, I graciously accepted a ride down in the golf cart.
I had such a great afternoon with all of these inspiring campers and their counselors. It is remarkable how many giving, kindhearted young people we have in our Staten Island Community. I know that they will all go on to do truly incredible things because they are already making difference in the lives of others. Bravo JCC Campers…you have all stolen my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment