Monday, September 22, 2014

National Night Out Against Crime

Every year, Staten Island participates in "National Night Out Against Crime." Started in 1984 by the National Association of Town Watch (NATW), this night began an effort to promote involvement in crime prevention activities, police-community partnerships, neighborhood camaraderie and send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back. NATW’s National Night Out program culminates annually, on the first Tuesday of August, across the entire country.
I had attended this event last year as Miss Greater NY and I was very excited to attend this year as Miss Staten Island. This year, especially, I found it important to recognize and support the NYPD. I came straight after work and met my parents at Midland Beach. It was a beautiful, although quite windy, night. As we walked along the beach we stopped at the many information tables representing various charities, organizations, and (of course) our local heroes - firefighters, police officers, EMTs, veterans and so much more. I even got to try on some police gear!
I saw so many familiar faces and got to speak with a few local politicians along the way. I made sure that I slipped my platform in there and hope to be in touch with them soon to work on raising funding for pediatric cancer. I took pictures with my fellow Staten Islanders and even had a mini photo shoot against the beautiful skyline. Thanks, dad!
I had a wonderful "Night Out" with my mom, dad, and members of the Staten Island community. I know that the "National Night Out Against Crime" will continue on for many years, raising community safety awareness, and inspiring the younger generations to become our new local heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment