Monday, November 10, 2014

My Farewell

My motto has always been, “It’s not about the crown; it’s about what you do with it.” When I was crowned Miss Staten Island for the second time, I set high standards for myself and was determined to live up to them. 

This year, I took my platform, “Inspiring Action Against Pediatric Cancer,” to new heights, making over 125 appearances and raising over $20,000 for childhood cancer research. I visited both the Long Island and Manhattan Ronald McDonald Houses, worked closely with Staten Island University Hospital and its patients and advocated for our city to "Go Gold" for Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. Over the past three years my crown has helped me to donate $46,000 to charity.

In May, I was thrilled to place 2nd runner up at Miss New York. I definitely did not see that coming. I also received the CMN Miracle Maker Award and the Community Service Award. This past summer I represented New York at the National Sweetheart Pageant in Illinois where I placed 1st runner up amongst 43 unbelievably talented young women. It was truly a whirlwind year!

As I look back, I can confidently say that I’ve used my crown to make a difference and I’ve loved every minute of it. I’ve made countless friends, connected with hundreds of organizations and mastered the art of putting my crown on straight without a mirror. I couldn’t have done any of this without “my village.”


Mom, Dad, & AJ – I could never have been an effective titleholder without the support of a loving, dedicated, and extremely energetic family behind me. Thank you for being there through every step of my journey and for keeping me calm (well…sort of) when things got really crazy. 

Nick, The Homans and all my Friends and Family – Your never-ending love and support have inspired me to far surpass my goals. 

My perfect little sister Alexa….I will miss having you as my teen, but I know we will be friends for a lifetime. I love you! 

My beautiful Star Princess Natalie, who happens to be taller than me!I am so proud of the young woman you’re becoming and I know that Dominic would be, too. 

Thank you to The Miss America Organization for elevating and empowering youngwomen to be independent, strong, compassionate leaders. 

And finally, thank you to The S.I. Community for welcoming me back with open arms.This truly is a remarkable borough! 


Congratulations to the next Miss Staten Island. You have no idea what a wild ride you’re in for. I sure didn't. I look forward to what is to come, but in my heart I will forever be “Miss Staten Island.”

With love,
Jamie Lynn Macchia - Miss Staten Island 2014


Hear my farewell recording: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FNm7pqbmMk

No comments:

Post a Comment