Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Wrapping up September!

It has been nearly impossible for me to keep up with my blogs as the end of my reign as Miss Staten Island approaches since I attend so many different events! I've made sure to continue posting my pictures on my public page, and now (though I usually like to separate my appearances in individual posts) I will try to wrap up my final months for you, beginning with September.


Paint For A Cure


Let's start this wrap up with an event of my own creation, "Paint For A Cure." I created this fundraiser to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) through my Light The Night (LTN) team, "Miss Staten Island's Angels." I participate in LTN every year and was proud to be this year's Co-Chair of the Staten Island Committee. That is why I made it my mission to raise even more than I had in the past.
Many friends and family joined me at Pinot's Palette to "Paint For A Cure." We enjoyed snacks and raffle baskets while receiving step-by-step instruction on how to recreate the masterpiece I had chosen for the group. When it was all over, I was quite impressed by the results! Every guest walked away with their own masterpiece and we raised $1,000 for LLS!


Light The Night


Light The Night, for which I held my "Paint For A Cure" fundraiser, was also in September. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light The Night Walk funds research to advance therapies and treatments for blood cancers. I had spent months raising money for and planning this beautiful walk along with the Staten Island Walk Committee, so I was quite excited when the night finally arrived.
The number of participants in this walk continues to grow and it is truly breath taking to see all of their balloons light up the night sky. I've been a participant for many years in honor of my friend, Dominic, who passed away from leukemia. This year, I received an extra-special honor when I was asked to recite the poem at the Remembrance Ceremony and share heartfelt words with the group of walkers who were walking in memory of their loved ones.
The walk was an enormous success, with the Staten Island event raising over $212,000. "Miss Staten Island's Angels," contributed $3,055 of that total, and I was named a "Bright Light" for the second year in a row! I am so proud to have been a part of it. Want to help Staten Island reach our $276,000 goal by the end of the year? It's still possible! Feel free to make a donation here!


International Food Tasting


The Staten Island Giving Circle hosted an International Food Tasting toward the end of September to fund their many projects which directly benefit the SI Community. The Giving Circle has consistently supported me during my years as both Miss Greater New York and Miss Staten Island and I couldn't have imagined missing this event!
It was unlike anything I had ever seen; A great celebration of all cultures through music, dance, and food. Well, I was mostly celebrating the food and there was certainly lots of it! I tried meals from across the world and the best part was that it was all created by our SI Giving Circle members!
Though I didn't walk away with a basket raffle win this time, it was still a fun (and delicious) night. I hope they host another fundraiser like this one in the future!


Autism Speaks Walk


September is a beautiful month for walks with the change in weather, which is why I suppose this year's Autism Speaks Walk was moved up from October! Autism Speaks is an organization "dedicated to funding global biomedical research into the causes, prevention, treatments and a possible cure for autism." I participated in this walk as Miss Greater NY and was happy to return as Miss Staten Island.
I was joined by Miss SI's Outstanding Teen, Alexa Moley. It was bright and early in the morning as we greeted walkers. Everything was blue -- even the fountains in front of The College of Staten Island! The Theater Brats performed to pump up the crowd and a Zumba teacher warmed everyone up before kicking off the walk. It definitely woke us up!

Before I knew it, it was all over and we were off to the next event. Thank you to Maeve at Autism Speaks for having Alexa and I!


Victorian High Tea


After Autism Speaks, I was off to a Victorian High Tea for the Alzheimer's Foundation of Staten Island. Alzheimer's disease is a progressive, degenerative disorder that attacks the brain's nerve cells, or neurons, resulting in loss of memory, thinking and language skills, and behavioral changes. This foundation provides "optimal care and services to individuals confronting dementia, and to their caregivers and families-through member organizations dedicated to improving quality of life." My grandfather suffered from this disease, which is why I felt it was important to attend the High Tea.

My mom and I walked into Zion Lutheran to find cute little tables set up with a collection of mismatched tea sets and flowers. It felt like I walked right into a dollhouse! At a long table in the middle of the room were finger sandwiches, cheese, crackers, and other lunch time goodies. And I can't forget the dessert items sitting at the back of the room!
My favorite part was meeting the ladies of the Red Hat Society, who had their own table. I made a few friends and even got to wear one of their special hats! What a fun day!



So, there you have it -- my September wrap up! With my time as Miss Staten Island quickly coming to a close (only 5 days to go!!), I promise to finish posting about all of my appearances in the coming week. Thank you all for your support and for following my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment