Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Astoria Girl Scout Visit

As Miss Greater New York, I had been invited by a friend to visit a Girl Scout Troop in Queens. We set up a visit for the end of November; I had no idea that I would actually be attending the troop's meeting as Miss Staten Island!

My first thought as I entered the school in Astoria was, "They may not even know where Staten Island is!" I don't know if that mattered, though, because the minute the girls caught sight of my crown, they were screaming and running over to me. I was excited to see that they, too, had crowns on, courtesy of their troop leaders, Robin and Allison.
Once the girls settled down (well - sort of), I joined them in opening their meeting. They always begin with the Girl Scout Pledge, a pledge that I recited when I was a young girl scout, as well! We then sat in a group and I spoke with them about myself, my platform, the pageant, and - yes - where Staten Island is. I could tell they were eager to speak to me, as they just keep getting closer to me throughout the conversation!
The highlight of the night was definitely allowing the girls to each make their own sash and try on a Miss America local crown! Fun fact: The crown I let them try on is actually my Miss Staten Island 2014 crown. The one I wear is still the Miss Staten Island 2012 crown!
To close out my visit, I signed little booklets for each girl entitled "I Can Be..." that contained a new badge for their Girl Scout Sash!
I had a wonderful time with the 6 and 7-year-old girls of this Astoria Girl Scout Troop. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to meet each and every one of them. Thank you Allison and Robin for setting up this visit for me! I'll come back anytime!

No comments:

Post a Comment