Sunday, July 13, 2014

Cystic Fibrosis Walk

Although my platform is "Inspiring Action Against Pediatric Cancer," I advocate for and support quite a few other causes including fighting for a cure for cystic fibrosis through the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. As I mentioned in a previous blog, cystic fibrosis is an inherited chronic disease that affects the lungs and digestive system of about 30,000 children and adults in the United States.
Last month, I joined my good friends Donna and Louis Valentino at the CF Walk in Clove Lakes Park. This year's walk held special meaning as less than a week prior, Kim Busacca, a 22- year old "CFer," lost her battle to the disease. This struck something in me when I realized that she was my age. It made me realize the devastation this disease causes in such young people and strengthened my conviction to do whatever I could to support and raise some awareness.
As usual, I saw so many familiar faces including Lou's cousin Gerard, Kamryn and her family, and Stan Mikos whose son Matthew also suffers from CF. I was honored to be introduced to Kim's parents who, in spite of their tragic loss, came to walk to help others. I was humbled to meet such a selfless woman. Kim's spirit was undeniably evident in everyone who I spoke to who knew her. 
Before the walk began, my sister queen Stephanie Accardo (Miss Richmond County) joined me. Together we judged the CF t-shirt contest. All of the shirts were so creative, but in the end the prize for the winning shirt was awarded to Team Matt for their Hunger Games inspired design. 
Before I knew it, the walk began. I walked for a bit with Team Kaitlyn (Lou and Donna’s Team) and then I regretfully had to leave to attend a family event. 
Thank you Lou and Donna for inviting me to be a part of this monumental event. I know that the cure for CF is not far off and I hope to continue to assist you in your efforts to raise awareness for this devastating disease. I can’t wait until your Halloween Party!

1 comment:


  1. We offer reasonable pricing health care plans, Physicians for digestive diseases in Staten Island, NY insurance packages to clients Appointment scheduling with Doctors Staten Island, NY. Your physicians recommends that you have esophageal dilation. pain medicine for ulcerative colitis Staten Island, NY This procedure is used to widen a narrowed section of the esophagus.

    ReplyDelete