Friday, July 4, 2014

Break The Silence at Ink Couture

Stop #3:


My final event of the day on June 7th was a fundraiser for Break The Silence Against Domestic Violence at Ink Couture, a local tattoo parlor. Break The Silence is committed to breaking the cycle of domestic violence through education and individualized services. This tattoo event was coordinated by my friend Lauren Parks, whom I had met at another Break The Silence fundraiser - "Evening Of Inspiration" - back in May. I was happy to attend this event and lend my support, but a tattoo was NOT going to happen!

I was a little nervous even going into the event because, as anyone who knows me can tell you, I am terrified of needles. However, I took a deep breath and walked inside. I have to say, Ink Couture is not what I had envisioned a tattoo parlor to be. Although I had met Frank (the owner) previously, I had never been there. The place was gorgeous with beautiful white walls and floors, glass enclosures and lots of merchandise to peruse.
Lauren, who was getting ready to get her tattoo, happily greeted me. She is a former victim of domestic violence who has taken her own experiences and is using them to fuel her fire to help others. I admire her for taking back her life. She's also pretty funny and always makes me laugh.
There were a few other people getting tattooed and I sat outside Lauren's cubicle chatting with her and trying not to look as she got her tattoo. Before long, she was done. She had chosen a quote from Maya Angelou and it really was beautiful. My mom convinced me to sit in the chair after Lauren to take a picture of me "getting my tattoo."  Even though I knew it was just a pretend shot (the tattoo gun wasn't even plugged in!), I was so nervous that I was shaking. I couldn't wait to get out of that chair!
Interestingly enough, the tattoo artist told me that he was also a magician who had worked with the Make-A-Wish Foundation at one time. We went outside where he amazed me with a pretty gross, but awesome magic trick. So cool!
Before we left, Lauren’s 2 year-old niece Ava came by. We had met at the last event and she remembered me only as the princess. She is absolutely adorable.
Thank you, Lauren, for everything you do to bring awareness to and help victims of domestic violence. I look forward to helping you in the future and I'm so happy that we have gotten to be friends…even though I refuse to be tattooed EVER! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment