Monday, June 30, 2014

St. Patrick's Summer Kick-Off


Stop # 2:

After the Olivia Boccuzzi Kid's Marathon, I headed back to Staten Island for my second event of the day. I had been asked by Michel Spano to attend the first ever "Summer Kick-off" for St. Patrick’s School. The event would be a fundraiser for the school with performances, vendor shopping and, of course, FOOD! No brainer…I accepted!
It was shaping up to be a beautiful day and there were quite a few people of all ages making their way into the schoolyard as we arrived. I walked around the yard, looking at all the cute items at the vendor tables and taking pictures.
I also spoke about The Miss America Organization to a few groups of young ladies who were eager to know more about how I got my crown. I always love telling my story and encouraging them to get involved!

We sat and watched the performances which included snippets of In The Wings Productions' rendition of Shrek and the handsome, talented Struck Boyz from Star Struck Dance Studio. They were all so good!
Before we left, we stopped inside to cool off. Wearing a crown with so many clips in the blazing sun tends to make your head pretty hot. I bet that's a secret you never knew! While inside, I chatted with several of the volunteers who were curious to know why I had chosen my platform. I spoke to them about Dominic, my best friend who passed away from leukemia, and I was stunned when one volunteer told me that she had been one of his carenurses while he was in the hospital. She had been there the night he passed away. I was overwhelmed. She took me outside to meet a second nurse who had taken care of him, as well. We shared some stories and spoke about what an amazing person Dominic was. I felt so many different emotions speaking with them, but one thing was clear; although he has been gone for a little over 7 years, Dominic has not been forgotten by anyone who has ever known him. 
It made me smile and reaffirmed my determination to focus on my platform and doing all that I can to help researchers find a cure for pediatric cancer. What a perfect way to end an event

Thank you Michel for inviting me to such a great, community-oriented event. I had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment