Sunday, June 29, 2014

St Jude Car Wash

As you all know, my platform is "Inspiring Action Against Pediatric Cancer" and I have worked with many different organizations to promote this. Recently, I was invited by my friend Tina Bilcher-Murphy to attend not one, but two events organized by Kids For Kids, a group of amazing young people aged 5-18 who work to raise funds for St. Jude.
The mission of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is to advance cures, and means of prevention, for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. No child is denied treatment based on race, religion or a family's ability to pay. The first event was a car wash at the start of the month at Standard Burger, a local restaurant on Staten Island. I eagerly accepted the invitation and, on that morning, headed out to what I thought would be a cute, small car wash that would raise a few dollars for St. Jude. Boy, was I in for a surprise!
As I drove up with my family I was amazed to see a line of cars for at least half a block waiting to get in. The parking lot was packed with swarms of kids of all ages washing cars, selling cute, homemade flower pens and books and filling buckets with water and suds. NY 1 news was doing interviews and the adults were keeping the line moving. Talk about teamwork!
My mom and I started to help out while my Dad and brother got on line for a wash. I was pleasantly surprised to see quite a few kids I knew from my school visits as well as my kindergarten/first grade teacher whose daughter was one of the event's participants.
My 2013 Princess, Rose, and her family were helping, as well. I also met and spoke with Caitlin McFeely who was the organizer of the second event I would be attending the following week. We spoke for awhile and made plans to connect for some future events.
After a delicious lunch (I couldn’t pass on those burgers!) we said our goodbyes and made our way back to the car, but not before I posed in an awesome Porsche doing my best "queen wave!"
Thank you to Tina for connecting me with Caitlin McFeely and St Jude's "Kids For Kids" program. I am looking forward to with this group more in the future and seeing all the amazing things they will accomplish!

No comments:

Post a Comment