Monday, June 30, 2014

Olivia Boccuzzi Foundation: Kid's Marathon

To start off the summer, I had a jam packed 3-event day on June 7th.

Stop #1:


Last year, as Miss Greater New York, I attended an event that isn't seen too often: a Kid's Marathon! Through this event, the Dyker Heights Athletic Association (DHAA) joined forces with The Olivia Boccuzzi Foundation to find a cure for childhood cancer. All proceeds raised during the marathon benefited The Olivia Boccuzzi Foundation, which directly funds research for new and innovative ways to treat pediatric brain tumors.
This foundation was developed by Mr. and Mrs. Boccuzzi, the parent's of a little girl, Olivia, who was diagnosed with a brain tumor at age 2. Olivia passed away 2 years ago, and the Boccuzzi family now runs this organization in her name. Their website reads:
As our family has learned, childhood cancer does not discriminate. It is the number one disease killer of children in the world.
This year, I once again joined the young boys and girls who would be running through the streets of Dyker Heights. Spirits were high as entered St. Bernadette's schoolyard. It looked like there were even more participants this year! I walked around a bit speaking to quite a few people and taking pictures along the way. 
The opening ceremonies began, and I was moved to tears by the beautiful speech given by Olivia's parents. They spoke about the heartbreak of discovering their child had a brain tumor and the additional shock when they learned of the lack of funding for childhood cancer research. These parents were told, "There is nothing we can do for your child." I couldn't even begin to fathom their struggles, but I commend them for turning their tragedy into an opportunity to help other families. They presented a check for $100,000 to NYU and Sloan Kettering Hospitals for research. Incredible! 
Olivia’s brother let some pink balloons float into the sky for his sister and my heart ached. I am so determined to do as much as I can to help people like the Boccuzzis so that one day no one will ever have to feel that kind of pain again. 
Afterwards, I headed to the street with the kids to kick off the run. We all waited for the signal - "On your mark, get set, go!"…and the first group was off! I chatted with some of the parents for a bit and then, sadly, I had to leave to make it to another event.
Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Boccuzzi for all that you do. You are such a strong and beautiful family and I wish you nothing but comfort and peace during this time. Thank you for having me.

No comments:

Post a Comment