Monday, June 9, 2014

Miss New York 2014

I am finally sitting down to write about Miss New York 2014. It's hard to believe that three weeks ago I was preparing my last minute packing items for a week of appearances & competition, and I have now completed my 3rd year at the state pageant. I am extremely proud of my performance this year. But, before I tell you about the "big night," let me start with a rundown of our week.
We checked into the Hampton Inn & Suites on Tuesday, May 20th. It was great to see all of the girls, again, especially those from upstate that I don't get to see very often! That included my roommate, and one of my very best friends, Katelynn Smith - Miss Empire Capital Region! I knew we were going to have a great week together.
Once we were all settled into our rooms, it was time to begin the busy day, and even crazier week! Just take a look at everything we did:

Tuesday: Commons Cafe, City Hall,

Pink & Pepper, American Girl Place


*Highlight Of The Day: Being brought inside The City Council Chamber
during a City Hall tour and speaking with Mayor Bill De Blasio!*


Wednesday: Rehearsals & Eger Harbor House


*Highlight Of The Day: Meeting a vibrant and spunky 101-year-old woman!*



Thursday: Rehearsals ALL DAY!


*Highlight Of The Day: Spending quality time studying with my roomie!*


Friday: Interview, Fleet Week, Preliminary Competition!


*Highlight Of The Day: My private interview with the judges -
I had so much fun and left that room feeling incredible!*


Saturday: Miss NY's Outstanding Teen & Miss New York!


*Highlight Of The Day: THERE ARE JUST TOO MANY!!
- Watching my gorgeous teen perform
- Winning the MAO Community Service Award
- Winning the Miracle Maker Award
- Placing Top 10, Top 5, 2nd runner up!
- And, of course, celebrating with McDonald's afterward!*


It is hard to put into words my feelings about this year's pageant. Being Contestant #21 (which was last), I was always the one who had to change the quickest, or who was practicing talent the latest at night. However, with the help of Kim & Kaitlyn Cantoni, I survived and I am definitely stronger for it!

Preparations prior to pageant week weren't always easy either; I spent countless hours studying, working in the gym, and analyzing my wardrobe. In fact, my gown was a last minute change! In the end, though, it was all worth it.

As many of my friends and family know, my goal was to place in the Top 10. In 2012 I had achieved this, and when I did not last year, I was pretty bummed. It only pushed me to work harder, though. After the Top 10 was called, I was content - the rest was just icing on the cake for me. Of course, every girl on that stage wanted to be Miss New York, but I always believe what is meant to be will be.

When my name was called for Top 5, I couldn't stop shaking! After exiting the stage from my final question, I collapsed into Katelynn's arms. "Is this real life!?" I asked her. It was then that I was also able to speak with my roommate from 2013, and the current Miss America, Nina Davuluri. She helped bring me back down to Earth and calmed me down. It wasn't until I was standing hand in hand with the other four fabulous girls in the Top 5, awaiting the final announcement, looking out onto the crowd, that I thought, "Wait, this is really happening!"

It was an honor to be named 2nd runner up in such an outstanding group of women. To have watched my hard work pay off was a beautiful thing. To top it all off, I walked away with what I consider two of the most important awards, as they have to do with what I believe the crown is really about - community service. The MAO Community Service Award was determined by an essay application and the Miracle Maker Award was for raising the most amount of money for the Children's Miracle Network.

I am so thankful to the Miss New York and Miss America Organizations, as I will now be able to pay off an entire year of my loans with the $4,200 I was awarded. There are just too many people to thank individually, but please know that not one of your well wishes or congratulations was missed. I am so humbled to have the support I have behind me and I am still beaming from all of the love.

Last year, I closed my Miss NY blog post with the following:
As with every pageant, I've learned so much and have grown from the experience. This isn't the last you'll see of me; I have some big plans. See you next year, Miss New York!
That still holds true. With each year, I see a great transformation in myself and I am proud of the woman I have become. I have one more year left in the Miss America Organization and I am determined to see you, again, Miss New York - one last time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment