Sunday, June 15, 2014

Public Service Announcement

Way back in January, when I was planning "The HOPE Project," I was introduced to Mike Veasey, a performer with Cherub Improv. Mike happens to be the dad of a fellow Tech alum, Chris Veasey, and we also have a mutual friend in Tracy Rosenberg. Cherub Improv performed at my benefit and totally wowed the crowd.
A few weeks ago, Mike contacted me to ask if I was interested in working with him to film a public service announcement for Borough President Jim Oddo's Anti-Litter Campaign. Knowing what a funny guy he is, I immediately agreed. When I heard the premise of the PSA, Captain Staten Island meets Miss Staten Island, I was even more eager to help. This was going to be fun! 

I arrived at CTV Studios dressed in yellow to match Captain Staten Island’s Superhero costume. I was led into a side studio where there was a second door leading to a small room painted bright blue. Mike was busy arranging "garbage" on the floor. I was confused until I looked up at the screen in the outer room and saw that it looked like a park! How cool!
Mike filled me in on what we would be doing and we ran our lines. I was nervous at first but after a few run throughs, I got the hang of it. As Mike changed his clothes to become Captain Staten Island (without the use of a phone booth), I had a great time goofing off in the blue room. 
When Mike had completed his transformation, Kenny (the sound engineer) gave us the all clear…and then the real fun began! I was pretty proud of myself for remembering my lines, although I can’t say the same for Mike! Finally, we got it together and before I knew it, it was a wrap! The finished product was awesome, however, the outtakes were my favorite part of it all! 
Afterwards, Mike changed back into himself and interviewed me about myself, my platform, the Miss America Organization and my experiences at Miss NY. I have to say, I’ve become quite comfortable in interview situations thanks to the Miss America Organization. What a long way I’ve come! 
Thanks Mike for having me. Unfortunately, our video didn't make the finals of the Anti-Litter PSA competition, but I love trying new things and this was certainly awesome on all levels! I look forward to seeing our interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment