Monday, May 5, 2014

Break The Silence: Evening Of Inspiration

Throughout my 5 years competing in the Miss America Organization, I have come to realize that there is never a shortage of causes that need support. Although my platform is "Inspiring Action Against Pediatric Cancer," I continually try to seek out events in my community and offer to lend my support and the visibility of the crown to raise awareness. Break The Silence Against Domestic Violence is one such organization. As a non-profit organization that serves men, women, and children affected by violence, BTS is committed to breaking the cycle of domestic violence through education and individualized services. This provides an avenue for survivors to begin their healing process. When I saw that they were hosting a local event, I immediately contacted them and was invited to attend.
I arrived at Oriental Plaza with my mom and was thrilled to find that my fellow Miss New York sister, Sarah Hreyo, was also there with her mom. Sarah’s platform is "L8ER H8ER! Saying Goodbye to Teen Dating Violence." I was also excited to see my friend Michael Scholl.
We settled in, bought our raffle basket tickets (of course) and the event got under way. Chinese food is one of my absolute favorites, but knowing that the Miss NY pageant is just a few short weeks away fueled my will power -- although I have to say, I did cheat just a little!

As we listened to the speakers, I was surprised to learn that the founder of Break The Silence, Kristen Paruginog, is a fellow MAO participant who held several California local titles. Kristen is also a survivor of domestic violence, proving that domestic violence victims come from all walks of life.Her speech was truly moving and passionate. What an amazing, strong woman! The event’s coordinator, Lauren Parks, and Sarah spoke, as well. I was moved by their speeches and drive to help others in domestic violence situations. When people band together with a common goal, there is strength. 
As the night went on I was able to learn so much more about BTS and its mission. Sarah and I were also happy to speak with Ava, Lauren’s niece, who was absolutely adorable. She was fascinated by our crowns and by my necklace, which she proclaimed was “Beautiful!” She is sure to be a pageant girl one day!
As the evening wound down, baskets were called (my Mom won one!) and we said our goodbyes. It was great to spend time getting to know Sarah and we are both looking forward to Miss NY Week! Sarah and I made plans with Lauren to attend a few future events. Lauren will be heading the new Staten Island chapter of BTS. I feel privileged to have been in attendance at this awesome fundraising event with a fellow pageant sister and I look forward to continuing my support of Break The Silence

No comments:

Post a Comment