Saturday, May 10, 2014

March Of Dimes Walk

On April 27th, I joined the March Of Dimes for their annual March For Babies. The March Of Dimes "helps moms have full-term pregnancies and research the problems that threaten the health of babies." I have been attending this walk since I was a freshman in high school and this year was the third consecutive year I attended as an MAO titleholder - what an honor!
Once again, I had the opportunity to sit onstage during the opening ceremonies and meet those who volunteer so much of their time to planning and executing such an enormous event. It was a pleasure to be sitting amongst such a philanthropic and inspirational group.
The opening ceremonies were inspiring and as I looked out at the crowd I was astonished by the amount of people in attendance. As always, I am in awe of the giving spirit of the Staten Island community. Jamie and Jianna, twins who were born prematurely (and whom I’ve known for the past 3 years) were on stage with me and I am amazed at how much they’ve grown! The finish to the opening ceremonies is always my favorite part of the walk; the "Parade of Preemies" where former NICU graduates walk across the stage to show how far they’ve come. It never fails to make me smile! 
Afterwards, we met at the starting line to cut the ribbon and cheer on the walkers as they began their march! There were so many people involved, I couldn't believe it! This walk just continues to get bigger every year! By this time, the wind had kicked up and, honestly, I was freezing, so I made my way back inside the parking lot where sponsors were set up and many families still remained.
I walked though the preemie tent and got a chance to talk with parents and their children. I can’t lie though, it was also kind of nice that the wind shielded me from the wind! As I was warming up, I mingled with everyone and saw some familiar faces from the Preemie Fashion Show and from my previous years at this walk. I was also able to speak with Sean and Helen from the Kiwanis Club. We made plans to get together after the Miss NY Pageant for some exciting new projects!
I even got a chance to see Marina Tornabene, an inspiring girl who, despite her own battle with leukemia, was there with her mom to support the March Of Dimes and its mission. What an incredible young lady! 
Unfortunately, I had to cut my time at this event short to make my way to another one, but I want to thank the March Of Dimes for, once again, graciously accepting me as a special guest. I always love these events and find them incredibly inspiring. I have faith that you will continue to do amazing things as the organization grows each year, with the help of the community!

** There are so many great pictures from this event that I can't even fit them all on here. Visit my Miss Staten Island Public Figure Page to see more! www.facebook.com/MissSI2014 or click here to go directly to the March Of Dimes: March For Babies pictures! **

No comments:

Post a Comment