Sunday, May 11, 2014

SI Tech's 25th Anniversary Gala

Staten Island Technical High School is one of New York’s specialized high schools, which requires a test to enter. Classes are all considered honors and there is a 100% graduation rate. It's also the place where I spent 4 of the best years of my life. This year, Tech celebrated its 25th Anniversary and Mr. Mark Erlenwein, one of my teachers at Tech, was appointed Principal. My mom was PTA President at the school and my brother is also a graduate, so naturally, when I was invited to attend the 25th Anniversary Gala, my mother and I eagerly accepted.
The event, held at The Old Bermuda Inn, was spectacular. The room was beautifully decorated and there was a ridiculous amount of raffle baskets. I couldn’t wait to scope them out! We made our way to our table and chatted with so many people we knew, including several of my former teachers. The event's co-chairs (Joanne Lamberti and Linda Accarino) are friends of my mom and they really went all out to make sure no detail was overlooked. 
I ran into Deputy Borough President Ed Burke who introduced me to Dr. Ginny Mantello. She is a Tech parent who was recently appointed the new Health and Wellness Director by Borough President James Oddo. We discussed the Miss America Organization and my platform. I was asked to contact her after the Miss New York Pageant to set up some events involving Staten Island University Hospital to further promote my mission to inspire others to take action against pediatric cancer. I was also able to speak with former Borough President Ralph Lamberti, whom I met last year. 
My mom and I bought some raffle tickets (and strategically placed them in the baskets), then had dinner and some more great conversation. Mr. Erlenwein got up to speak and thanked everyone for all that they do to make Tech such a unique school. Not only is he brilliant and a technological wiz, he is also a compassionate, warm person who really loves being an educator. He is a visionary who will take Tech to new heights.
Before I knew it, the night was over. Baskets were called and I was ecstatic to find out that I had won a Kathy Van Zeeland bag that I had my eye on. Guess what’s coming with me to Miss NY Week? 
Thank you Joanne and Linda for inviting me to Tech’s 25th Anniversary Gala. I am still - and always will be - a proud Techie and I am confident that Mr. Erlenwein will be a fantastic leader. Let’s go Seagulls!

No comments:

Post a Comment