Sunday, May 4, 2014

Ronald McDonald House of Long Island

Two years ago I had the honor of visiting the Ronald McDonald House of NYC. That experience left such a lasting impression on me that I jumped at the chance to visit the Ronald McDonald House of Long Island with the Staten Island Giving Circle.

The mission of Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) is to "create, find and support programs that directly improve the health and well being of children." They are a "home away from home" for families with children being treated in the area. There are currently over 300 Ronald McDonald Houses in 52 countries and regions. Each individual house is in charge of its responsible for it’s own funding and it takes thousands of dollars per day to run each house. While being treated for leukemia, my friend Dominic stayed in another Ronald McDonald House and I was excited to see all of the amazing things that I knew this organization provided.

On April 15th (after spending the morning at Staten Island University Hospital), my Mom and I, along with Tina Bilcher-Murphy and 6 other SI Giving Circle members, traveled to Long Island with groceries to cook for the guests at the house. I brought a little craft basket with me to leave for the kids, as well.
We were greeted by Judy, who treated us to a tour of the newly renovated house. Walking from room to room, I couldn't believe how massive the house was. It was equipped with 2 kitchens, a beautiful backyard terrace, a massive playroom for the kids, a donated computer room, customized guest rooms (each one different from any others) and so much more! Notable designers donated their time and talents to make sure each room in the house was perfect. I was amazed at how much went into making this place so very special for its residents.
After our tour, we returned to the kitchen to get cookin'! The "dinner program" was developed as an additional way to assist RMH residents by providing them with a home-cooked meal every night of the week. Volunteers use the house's kitchen facilities to prepare a weekend brunch or daily dinner for the families and children staying there.
My mom and I were on cookie detail. Yeah…nothing like a little temptation one month before Miss NY Week! We made about 9 dozen chocolate chip cookies and about 8 ¾ dozen actually made it to the finished tray - I'd call that an accomplishment!
When the cookies were done we pitched in to help finish up with the rest of the dinner: baked ham, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, broccoli quiche...yum, yum, yum! I had a great time working with Tina (who selflessly ate any broken cookies so they wouldn’t aesthetically flaw the look of the finished tray) and the rest of the crew. We cleaned up and left the food for the families when they returned from the hospital after appointments/treatments.
My second visit to a Ronald McDonald House, though a bit different in structure, was just as unforgettable as my first visit. Many people have asked me if it was sad and I tell all of them the same thing: Although the physical and emotional hurdles faced by these children and their families are often astronomical, it's very hard to be sad in such a warm and cheery environment. There is such an air of positivity and hope within the walls of this "home away from home." It really put a lot of things in perspective for me and I am making plans to return for another visit to both the Ronald McDonald House and the Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York (a Children's Miracle Network Hospital across from the house). Thank you Staten Island Giving Circle for giving me the opportunity to accompany you on this wonderful philanthropic visit. You guys are, as always, amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment