Friday, August 8, 2014

4th Of July Parade

Though it is summer, I've been as busy as ever. As you may notice, it's been a little difficult keeping up with the blogging, but I'm trying my best! Since we're approaching August, I think it's time to write a blog about the 4th of July parade!
About a month ago, on the 4th of July, I participated in the annual parade on Travis Avenue for the third year in a row. This year, though, the weather was definitely not cooperating. The day dawned dark with a severe threat of rain. I hoped the rain would hold up long enough for the parade to carry on. Travis hosts one of the oldest consecutive Independence Day celebrations in the United States and I wasn’t going to let a little rain keep me from once again being a part of something with such a rich history behind it! I crossed my fingers, got dressed, gathered my umbrella and we were on our way. 

This year I was thrilled to be joined by my Star Princess Natalie. My sister queen Stephanie, Miss Richmond County, was accompanied by her Star Princesses, as well. We gathered in the parking lot and spent some time mingling with participants and spectators, exchanging stories, commenting on the weather and taking pictures.
The parade was delayed as we waited for Mayor DeBlasio to arrive. By that point, I was starving and couldn't pass up the offer of Wendy's fries. But seriously…who can?
That's when I felt it; a single raindrop, which turned into many more in a very short time. We got out our umbrellas, climbed into our cars and for the first time in my three years as a titleholder, I rode in a parade inside a car. It was a very different experience, but fun just the same. 
As always, this parade route was quite intimate. Even though it was raining, I kept my window down so I could talk to the spectators lining the route. Despite the rain, there was a great turnout. The weather definitely didn't seem to dampen anyone's spirits!
I had a great time supporting my community and topped off my day by spending some quality time with my family! Thanks to everyone on the Travis Parade Committee for having me back!

No comments:

Post a Comment