Monday, August 4, 2014

PS8 Graduation

It is always a pleasure returning to my alma maters and, with each of my titles, I have made it a point to do so. I love that I can give back in some small way to the schools that gave so much to me. Public School 8 definitely holds some of my fondest memories.

As Miss Staten Island 2012, I was given the honor of being the Keynote Speaker at PS 8's Commencement Ceremony. I joined them the next year as Miss Greater New York 2013. When I received the invitation to attend graduation as an honored guest this year, I happily accepted.

I arrived at IS 7 and made my way to the stage, where I had an assigned seat next to Dominic LaForgia. His son, also Dominic LaForgia, was one of my best friends and is who I promote my platform in memory of. I was happy to be able to sit with him and catch up for a bit before the ceremony began.
Before I knew it, it was time for special awards. I had no idea that I would be presenting the award in memory of Dominic alongside his dad, but I was called up and handed the microphone. Luckily, it is never difficult for me to speak about Dom. In fact, I enjoy every opportunity I am given to let people know how special he was. Before presenting the award, I told the students how Dom lived his life and to cherish every moment and every person they have in theirs. It was an honor for me to be able to present this award for the second year in a row.
I've been to many graduations, but I always love the principal's speech at PS 8. Ms. Esposito makes sure to include the names of every graduating 5th-grader and make them feel special with a unique memory or quality about them. It's always fun to see their faces as their name is mentioned.
After a few other awards and songs from the class, the ceremony came to a close. As I was saying my goodbyes, Ms. Esposito stopped me to express her heartfelt thank you for my award presentation. "They really needed to hear that," she told me, explaining that they had a few issues with friends not getting along this year. "It's wonderful you told them to cherish their friendships." It meant so much to me to hear that. I'm glad that I was able to offer necessary advice to the Class Of 2014. Thank you Ms. Esposito for welcoming me back to PS 8 year after year. I will always be just a call away!

No comments:

Post a Comment