Monday, August 11, 2014

PrideFest & Back To The Beach

About one month ago, on July 12th, I attended two awesome Staten Island community events.

Stop #1:

My first stop was Staten Island Pride Fest. This would be my second year attending. Last year, there was a parade through St. George ending in a community vendor/information fair. This year the venue and format were different, but the spirit and message of the day were still the same; Be proud of who you are! I was honored to be invited back to show my support for Staten Island's LGBT Community. This year it was great to be joined by our new Miss New York, Kira Kazantsev, and my little sister queen, Alexa Moley, Miss Staten Island's OT.

We arrived at Snug Harbor and were greeted by Jim Smith, the Executive Director of the Miss Staten Island Organization and former SI Pride Parade Grand Marshall. Alexa, Kira and the phenomenal Linda Carbo joined us soon after we arrived and we alI spent some time walking around, meeting people, taking pictures, and checking out all the great stands set up throughout the grounds.
All the while, music was provided by some pretty entertaining local musicians. I chatted with community organization members, caught up with some old friends, and bought an exquisite pair of green earrings…always a win!
We were so excited to watch the Doggy Drag Show and nominated a cute little dog dressed as a cupcake as one of the winners. He came in third!
Unfortunately, I couldn’t stay as long as I would have liked because I needed to get to my second event, but before we left, Kira, Alexa and I introduced ourselves to the crowd and expressed our support.
It was a fantastic morning filled with so much love and spirit. Everyone deserves the freedom to be true to who they are and if we all stand together, and support one another, we will one day live in a society that truly provides "liberty and justice for all." Thanks Paul Sanders, event coordinator, for inviting me again. I had a blast! See you next year!

Stop #2: 

After a bite to eat and a quick stop home to change, my family and I headed to Midland Beach for "Back To The Beach."  This 2-day event is such an incredible community gathering and although I was exhausted, I couldn't wait to get there.
I was thrilled to see so many people lining the Boardwalk. There were hundreds of vendors (HELLO SHOPPING!!!!), bands performing, activities for the kids and representation from several public officials. We walked up and down the boardwalk quite a few times, stopping to look at the vendor stations, chatting and taking pictures. I saw so many people I knew and even bought myself an adorable scarf dress.
Right before we left, I ran into Gabriella Caggiano (New York USA Ambassador Jr. Teen) and my own sister queen Alexa Moley (Miss Staten Island's OT) and her family.
I had a great time connecting with the Staten Island community at a laid back event. It makes me so happy to see such wonderful and diverse people coming together to celebrate their hometown. Of course, being able to shop on the beach isn't too shabby either. I can't wait until next year!


For more fun pictures from these two events, click here:

No comments:

Post a Comment