Monday, January 20, 2014

From a Firehouse to a Winter Wonderland

December 21st, with Christmas just around the corner, I took a break from my holiday shopping, (which was not even close to being finished) to attend two very special events.

In the early afternoon, my little sister queen Alexa and I made our way to Richmond Town to visit Richmond Engine Company No. 1, which has been providing firefighting and emergency services to the Staten Island community since 1905. It is one of the ten remaining Volunteer Fire Departments in New York City. I was invited to the house by Steve White, a volunteer firefighter and photographer whom I had met at several other Staten Island events. Alexa and I were excited to take a tour of the house and visit with the firefighters during their annual holiday party.
We were greeted by Steve and given a VIP tour of the house, which included a vintage fire engine, a huge collection of old pictures and documents and a look at the view from the top floor overlooking Richmond Town Restoration.
After the tour, we met some of the volunteer firefighters and got to climb aboard the truck, which I am proud to say, I accomplished in 6-inch heels!
Though we were not able to stay long enough for the party or the ride with Santa, we made sure to try on some fire gear before we left! Just the coat weighed pretty much what I do! It made me realize just what these guys go through to protect us every day. I am so proud to say that in a few short months my boyfriend will join the ranks of these awesome individuals, as he starts the academy on Jan. 27th!
After a quick change (something I’m getting very used to), Alexa and I were off to Eve Ultra Lounge to attend Winter Wonderland - a party to support Autism Speaks and Gianna Nicole’s Heart of Hope. When we arrived we were greeted by so many familiar faces including Tammi D’Antoni, Kelly Quinn and Gianna’s family. There were so many people having such a great time! Alexa and I dove right in, chatting with the kids, speaking to vendors and giving out gifts.
There was food, face painting, music, dancing and, of course, raffle baskets! The performers included a magician and 80’s superstar Brenda K. Star’s daughter Gianna.
I was thrilled that a dear friend, Lauren Lam, was volunteering at this event. Lauren is a brain cancer survivor and I have become very close to her and her family during the past few years.
Once again, it was amazing to see so many philanthropic people coming together to help out their community. This is what makes Staten Island great - the people. Thank you for inviting me to be a part of this inspiring event! What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment