Monday, January 20, 2014

Rotary Visits: South Shore & Gateway!

In the past month, I have visited two rotaries on Staten Island as a guest speaker; South Shore Rotary and Gateway Rotary. Since I have been preparing for my upcoming benefit for the Pediatric Cancer Foundation, "The HOPE Project," my hope was that these two groups would be able to assist me with sponsorships. Before I tell you about my visits, let me share a little bit of background information.
The Rotary is an international service organization whose stated purpose is "to bring together business and professional leaders in order to provide humanitarian services, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world." Their motto is "Service Above Self."

I started my journey as a local titleholder in the Miss America system with a specific platform, “The Make-A-Wish Foundation: Kids For Wish Kids.” It was through my support of other events that I became educated about the more extensive needs of children with critical illnesses – specifically cancer. Of the already small amount of federal funding for cancer research, only 4% is allocated for all childhood cancers combined. The number of pediatric cancer cases has risen 29% in the past 20 years. Still, treatments have not changed significantly in more than a decade and cure rates for some pediatric cancers remain below 50%. It is because of these eye-opening facts, that I expanded my platform to “HOPE: Inspiring Action Against Pediatric Cancer.”

"The HOPE Project" - a variety show - will be held on March 29th at the College of Staten Island and will benefit the Pediatric Cancer Foundation.

Pediatric Cancer Foundation’s mission is to find a cure for childhood cancer. Founded in 1970, this 501(c)(3) non-profit charity raises money for research, state of the art equipment/instruments and parent/patient care for world-renowned doctors at the hospitals PCF supports. These hospitals include:
• New York Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital
• Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
• Cohen Children's Medical Center of NY
• NYU Stephen D. Hassenfeld Children’s Center for Cancer & Blood Disorders
• Maria Fareri Children’s Hospital at Westchester Medical Center
At each of the rotary meetings, I spoke about my experiences in the Miss America Organization, why I chose my platform, "The HOPE Project," and the facts about pediatric cancer, as well as the Pediatric Cancer Foundation. I had never visited Gateway Rotary before, but the South Shore Rotary had previously given me a $250 sponsorship for "We Dance For Dreams" (a Make-A-Wish Foundation benefit). I had a great time at both meetings, and look forward to hearing back from the Rotary Presidents.
Thank you to Joseph Longobardi (rotarian) & Tom Tyburczy (president) from the South Shore Rotary and Bobby Walsh (rotarian) & Mark Colella (president) from the Gateway Rotary for having me!

** If you are interested in sponsoring "The HOPE Project" visit the link on the right side of this page OR click here! **

No comments:

Post a Comment