Thursday, April 17, 2014

Anthony of Padua Talent Show

Some of the most enjoyable events that I attend happen quite by accident. A few weeks ago, while I was teaching at Gigante Dance Center, I happened to notice a flyer on the front desk advertising a talent showcase to benefit Anthony of Padua, an organization that serves under-privileged inner-city children. Their website says it all - "We show them that they are special, unique individuals that can always make their own choices in life... and that they can make a difference in their own lives, and others." I remembered that I had performed at one of their events about 7 years ago and contacted Francesca, who was helping to organize the event, to see if they needed any assistance. She was thrilled to welcome me on board and we made plans to touch base over the next few weeks to see what she needed.
It was later on that I found out that most of the performers were Gigante dancers, including 3 of my soloists! Francesca asked if I knew any other performers and, of course, I told her about one of my good friends and pageant sisters, Amanda Alicea - A.K.A. the most ridiculous singer I know.
My mom and I made a few baskets and ordered some cupcakes to donate...YUM! Although the space was a bit tight, the event went off without a hitch. Amanda kept me laughing and I got to spend some time with my Princess Natalie.
There were so many talented young people and it was great to see them giving up a Sunday afternoon to help others who are not as fortunate as them. That's what it's really all about; coming together to help. Thanks Francesca and Vicky (event coordinators) and Leslee Penny for having me! It was a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment