Monday, April 14, 2014

Michael's Cause: "Believe In Miracles"

After a great morning and a delicious breakfast at the Boy Scout event, I ran some errands and went home to get ready for a very special night. I was invited to attend the Michael’s Cause "Believe In Miracles" Dinner Dance, an enormous dinner/dance fundraiser hosted by Rob and Theresa Capolongo, whose son, Michael, suffers from Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Rob is St. John’s alum and a fraternity brother of my Uncle George. I knew that this event was going to be special but nothing could have prepared me for the spectacular evening I was in for.
Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy is the leading fatal genetic disorder worldwide. It effects 1 in 3500 boys. Duchenne results in severe muscle wasting . By age 12 boys are usually wheelchair bound. Ultimately, Duchenne effects the heart and lungs thus leading to death by the early 20's. It is caused by the bodies inability to make a protein called dystrophin . Dystrophin is an essential ingredient in muscle cells that acts as a shock absorber. Without this protein the muscle cells become weak and eventually die. To date there is no cure for DMD.

Pulling up to the Hilton Garden Inn, I found myself in a line of cars that stretched across the parking lot. There were over 650 people in attendance! I knew then that I was in for a great night. Inside, there were more baskets, prizes and silent auction items than I had ever seen at a single event. My mom and I got some appetizers, took a few pictures and made our way to our seats.
Rob and his wife spoke about their son’s illness and a slide show focusing on some of the young boys who are similarly afflicted was shown. I was emotionally overcome by the daily hardships faced by Michael and his family. It made me fully realize just how strong this little boy, and all those affected by DMD, need to be every day of their young lives.
After several other equally inspirational speakers, the music began, dinner was served and basket frenzy began! We caught up with some old friends, found my Uncle (who is a big contributor to this event each year) and made quite a few new connections for future fundraising projects and hospital visits.
I feel privileged to have been in attendance at this huge fundraising event. I am honored to know Rob, Theresa and their beautiful family. They have been able to take their life-altering circumstances and focus their energy in a positive direction to one day finding a cure for their son and all of the boys who have Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. With this event, Michael's Cause was able to raise over $150,000 -- how incredible is that!? For more information on how you can help please go to www.michaelscause.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment