Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The H.O.P.E. Project

It is nearly impossible to put into words all of the hard work and emotions that were involved in planning my benefit for the Pediatric Cancer Foundation - "The HOPE Project." If I tried to write down all of my feelings about the night, I wouldn't ever be able to stop. Instead, I will try keep this blog post short and sweet…but I'm not promising anything!

My platform, "Inspiring Action Against Pediatric Cancer," is something that I am extremely passionate about and hold close to my heart. We all know what cancer is and are not under the assumption that children are immune to it, and yet, very little is being done to help those who are fighting the hardest battle of their young lives. This is why I choose not to "raise awareness" of pediatric cancer, but rather, to inspire action against it. I began thinking about having another benefit during my reign as Miss Greater New York and, after winning Miss Staten Island, the idea came up again. I have to admit, though, I was hesitant as I debated putting this event together – a sequel to my "We Dance For Dreams" benefit in 2012 – because I wasn't sure I'd have the time to follow through with this huge undertaking. Looking back at all that I have gained from this experience, I am so happy I decided to proceed.

I have to say, I was strangely calm the morning of the benefit, which was pretty odd. After a trip to my hair sponsor, Zoe Salon, for a quick blow out (which looked FABULOUS as usual), I was on my way to the venue. The threat of rain loomed, but thankfully we made it to CSI before any drops hit the ground. We were not as lucky leaving the theater…POURING rain is an understatement!

As rehearsal got under way, my mom, dad, brother, boyfriend and awesome pageant sisters helped keep things running smoothly so that I could focus on getting the 201 performers ready for showtime. I am honored to be representing a borough with such incredible talent. 
With rehearsal done, I headed to my dressing room for makeup (thanks, Jessica Spinelli, from Zoe for the incredible job!) and to get dressed in my first outfit. After a quick "Hello!" to my special guest Yesenia, it was SHOWTIME!
I was so overwhelmed seeing a full audience, performers in the wings, family and friends all around, that it was difficult to control my emotions. When it was my turn to perform, I was introduced by the phenomenal Miss Staten Island 2013, Amanda Lee Alicea. Her introduction touched my heart.
Before I knew it, the show was over. I felt a rush of accomplishment and relief. My Star Princess, Natalie LaForgia, joined me onstage to call the raffle winners. I was thrilled that the person who won the 50/50 donated the money back and that my good friend Diane Pilatsky, who does so much philanthropic good for others, won the all-inclusive trip to Cancun! Good things truly do go to good people.
It meant so much to me to have such great people all around me, especially my fellow MAO queens; Alexa Moley, Katelynn Smith, Christina Moore, Kira Kazantsev, Sarah Hreyo, Stephanie Accardo, Jillian Tapper and Dominique Bianco and Star Princesses Amelia Pilatsky and Natatlie LaForgia who came to lend their support. It proves once again that the Miss America Organization is truly a family. 
I am overwhelmed at the support that I received from this amazing borough. Even after the event, donations continued to come in through my GoFundMe page. I am beyond THRILLED to announce that, in the end, we were able to donate $14,050 to the Pediatric Cancer Foundation! I am speechless!

The emails and messages I received after the event were heart-warming. They all meant so much to me. My platform involves not only inspiring action against pediatric cancer, but also encouraging others, especially children, to get involved in their communities and volunteering. So many of the messages came from kids and young adults and their families were inspired to become involved in my cause and asked what they can do to help! To have achieved both of my goals with one event feels great!

"The HOPE Project" was an enormous success, but it wouldn't have been possible without the help of my family, friends, sponsors, and the Miss Staten Island Organization. I would like to give a special thank you to my hair & makeup sponsor, Zoe Salon! They did a fabulous job - I felt amazing the entire night! I would also like to thank my friends and pageant sisters Amanda Alicea, Amanda Rae Davis, Alison DeLuca and Alexa Moley for helping to keep everything running smoothly backstage and for ultimately keeping me calm and sane.
As I said to the audience, this night wasn't about me or the crown, it was about all of the amazing members of our community coming together for a greater cause. I couldn't be more proud. Thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, for everything you've done to help fill that auditorium with HOPE and make my dream a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment